Friday, October 31, 2008

Purple Pumpkin Pie

DISCLAIMER: I just want to let you know that it is OK if you do not understand some of the conversations between kids that I record on this blog. Half the time I do not understand what they are talking about!

Two cute little first grade girls came limping into my office today. The first girl had a faint scratch on her lower left leg. Her buddy sported an old bruise on her right knee which I estimated to be about five days old. Both were looking for band aids and most likely the news about the bag of candy I had in my desk had made it around the school. Please listen in on our conversation:

Nurse Ehop: “What are you girls doing in class today?”

Georgia: “We are fixing pumpkins!”

Kayla: “Yea, we put them on the thing that weighs your feet. And then we put on blocks of paper if it is 4 or 5 or 6.”

Nurse Ehop: “Blocks of paper? What…”

Georgia: “It has 380 seeds! You make punkin pie with the seeds you know.”

Kayla: “We can make grape punkin pie and apple punkin pie too!”

Nurse Ehop: “I never hea……”

Georgia: “I saw a stale punkin yesterday. It was sitten on the table by me. I touched it and it was yucky. It was lookin at me so I moved away.”

Kayla: “One boy stuck it with his pencil to see if it moved. He’s mean. We told the teacher on him.”

Nurse Ehop: “Whoa, slow down girls. So what did the teacher do?” Score one for nurse. I finally got in a full sentence!

Georgial: “Nothin, and now there’s a hole in the punkin. I don’t like to look at it with the hole and all.”

Kayla: “Can we have a band aid to put on the hole?”

I sent both girls back to class, one with a Hello Kitty band aid, the other with a Bacon-n-Egg band aid and a plain brown band aid for the abused pumpkin. They then reminded me about the bag of candy in my desk and each selected a sweet prize. I told them not to open the candy until they got home with the rest of their treats. I watched them as they headed back to class…. They were eating their candy.

No comments: