Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Black Holes

Today has been a little slow. This is a good thing. I had time to take inventory of my supplies and order more bacon shaped band aids (this year’s favorite with the kids). After finishing the inventory I had to stop by one of the first grade classrooms.

As I walked into the classroom a little boy with big brown eyes came up to me a said, “My Mom cut my ear off.”

I did a quick count and noticed he still had two ears, one on each side of his head, exactly where they were suppose to be. “And how did that happen?” I asked.

“Oh I don’t know for sure but she said she was sorry. So I asked her to buy me a bike and she did.” He replied.

“Well you have two ears now.” I said.

He grinned showing me his missing front teeth. “Well it grew back after she bought me the bike!”

His little buddy sitting beside him reported to me in a matter of fact tone, “My Dad don’t have ears. My Mom told me that my Dad never hears her when she tells him to do something. So those aren’t ears on his head she said.”

Once again trying to retain my professional demeanor I asked, “Well, what are they?” By now all the kids were feeling to see if they had ears and looking at each others heads. I knew I had to make my exit before the teacher asked me to leave because no one was paying attention to her. All eyes were on someone else’s ears! But I stayed long enough to get my answer.

The boy whose farther has no ears answered my question. “They are just big round circles with dark holes in them. And there’s no hair to comb on them so they can get air.”

Another little girl spoke up, “My Dad’s ears must be loose cause I saw him wiggle them. Will they fall off nurse?”

Now all the little kids were holding and pulling at their ears! The teacher raised her eyebrows at me. Ok, it was time to leave. I had more band aids to count.

No comments: