Thursday, October 16, 2008

Planes and Boats, Boats and Planes

I am totally engrossed when having a conversation with Kindergarteners. Their leaps of logic and topic transitions require the utmost focus and concentration. Once you start them taking be prepared for anything! The following is a conversation I had today with two kindergarten boys.

Two kindergarten boys came trooping into my office this morning. They always travel in pairs to my office, it is the buddy system. The logic I think (or should I say hope) is that two will go astray less likely then one.

“Hello boys,” I said. “Is someone of you injured today?”

One boy pointed to a small red bite on his arm. “Sompin bit me on my arm Nurse Ehop.”

“I didn’t see his arm get bit,” the other boy chimed in, “but he said it crawled on him on the bus this morning.”

I sat the two boys down. “It really does not look too bad, where do you live?” I asked to distract him while I took care of his wound.

The flood gates opened. “I live in a white house on a yellow brick road,” he said, “and my Mom and Dad live there too and my Grandpa and Grandma,” he continued to elaborate, “and my cousins and some animals.”

“Oh my, that is a big family you live with,” I encouraged him.

“My Dad works only on Sundays in American line,” he pontificated. “He moves a plane around with a car.” He looked up and thought a moment. “Oh I forgot,” onward he spoke, “he has two works, he’s a police too.”

His little buddy not being about to stand it anymore that the first boy was doing all the talking quickly blurted out, “I’m going to be a soldier that has boats with an airport on it!”

And as quickly as the conversation started, it ended. Seldom are there true transitional endings to my daily conversations with the kids. I did however have to stopped the pair shortly after on their way back to class. It seems a little argument broke out concerning which was better, boats… or planes?

No comments: