Thursday, October 9, 2008

Our Future Leaders on Conservation?

With the current gas prices, concerns about global warming and desire for energy indepedence I wondered what the children, our future leaders and scientists, thought about solutions to these concerns. I kept it simple with one question, "How can we save gas?"

Girl (2nd grade): I would buy a motorcycle.

Girl (2nd grade): I would make cars that run on sun

Girl (1st grade): My mom says my dad has enough gas for everybody’s car.

Well, that response sent the group of first graders in my office into a think tank frenzy! I was pummeled by the next set of responses.

Girl (1st grade): We can squeeze it up into a small ball.

Boy (1st grade): Well we can’t catch it when we are gassing.

Girl (1st grade): I don’t want to save it in my house cuz – ooohhh it doesn't smell good.

Boy (1st grade): My grandpa has very loud gas and my grandma hollers at him.

Girl (1st grade): I just run away when I smell it in my room and I hide my head under the pillow.

Are they onto a new alternative fuel source that our scientists of today have not yet thought of, or should we wait until they have a few chemistry classes under their belts to work out the details. I’ll let you be the judge of that.

No comments: