Tuesday, October 7, 2008

It's Better then a Poke in the Eye

"My cousin poked me in the eye fer nuthin," Carlos said as he came into my office holding his eye as if it were about to fall out of the socket. I laid the kindergartener on a cot and applied a cool compress to his eye. His eye look normal to me but he was still holding it like it was going to fall out on the floor.

Getting to the root of the incident I called the teacher and asked her to send Carlos’s cousin down to my office. The teacher showed up herself with the cousin in tow. He was already crying, a sure sign of guilt from my experience! Seeing his cousin Carlos laying on the cot with his eyeball about to cascade out of its socket on to the floor he fessed up immediately. “I was trying to tell him a secret in his ear but he was looking at something else so I poked him in the eye for attention,” the cousin confessed.

After some apologies I sent them off to class holding hands. As I watched them march off I saw the cousin again trying to tell Carlos another secret. My job was done here, I could only hoped Carlos would pay more attention when his cousin told him a secret.

No comments: