Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran’s Day

Today’s is Veteran’s Day and the kids have the day off. I took a poll yesterday to find out if the kids knew the significance of the day.

The First Group of kids were first graders.

Boy: “I think we have off because tomorrow is Friday.”

Boy: “I think it is Valentine’s Day.”

Boy: “I think it’s like we have summer off. The teacher said we have to do more reading and writing.”

Girl: “It’s gonna be a special day. It’s a day for the teachers.”

Boy: “I don’t know.”
Girl: Turning to the boy she says, “Think what is in your mind!”
Boy: Looks at the girl a bit annoyed, “In my mind?! I don’t have to come to school fer two days!”

Then a group of Kindergartener’s came in and to my surprise were quite knowledgable

Girl: “Because it is Veteran’s Day and you have to say hello to the soldiers of America cuz they help America.”

Boy: “Fer the soldiers, they need to tect our city.”

Girl: “A day the soldiers were at the war and won and today we celebrate.”

Boy: “I thought that was in February.”

Boy: “We are celebrating the army.”

No comments: