Friday, November 21, 2008

Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

It's Friday morning. As I came into my office I saw a group of kindergarteners marching down the hall towards me. A quick glance and no one appeared to have a stomach ache, headache or even a scratch. "Where are you kids headed this morning?" I inquired hoping it was not my office for a mass outbreak of the flu.

"We are going to the library to read books," the little girl in the front of the line announced.

"My, what beautiful earrings you are wearing today," I admired seeing little sparkling dots in her ears. Little girls love to dress up and wear jewelry and they especially love when you compliment them on what they are wearing. I could see that she was immediately pleased that I noticed her earrings as her face beamed with a huge smile. It was blinding even with the two front teeth missing.

"My earrings are diamonds," she proudly declared tilting her head slightly so the rest of the children in line could see them. "My mom bought them for me at K-Mart."

The little girl behind her quickly moved in front and pushed her hair back behind her ears as she revealed, "My earrings are diamond hearts, hearts mean valentines."

The boy beside her scrunched his nose at this. "What is that?" he asked with a grimace on his face. I could tell he wanted no part of this diamonds and hearts business. He definitely has alot to learn I smiled to myself.

By now the other children in line started to gather around me wanting to join in on the show and tell session that I unintentionally started this morning.

"My mom wear diamonds around here," one little girl chimed in as she excitedly wound her hand around her wrist where a bracelet would be worn.

"I had one earring that got cut off by my sister's window," shouted a little boy pointing to his ear obviously explaining why he didn't have earrings.

Another little boy spoke up, "I wear a purple necklace. It has black balls." I chuckled to myself as I glanced at his neck and saw the necklace was not part of his attire this morning. Part of me was a little disappointed not able to see what this necklace must look like.

"OK children," I said wondering how the conversation went from diamonds to black balls. I was curious to see if they knew the difference. "Do you know what diamonds are?"

Immediately hands raised in the group as the children were excited to share their knowledge.

"I know about diamonds," a little boy called out. "They are just gold. They look like diamond on a pinto."

Another boy quickly chimed in, "A diamond is a sticker, like on a bowl. You find them in caves when there's a treasure in them." He then very animatedly demonstrated as he put hands together holding an imaginary tool and vigrously pumped his arms up and down. "You have to pound them to get them out."

"Diamonds come from stores," a little girl disagreed. "They build them and paint them."

Another little girl had a different opinion, "You can find them at the playground. Then you have to wash them off in the bath tub."

Finally one little girl in the back of the group spoke up quietly stating what we women have assumed for hundreds of years. "Nurse, I know where diamonds come from." She paused to make sure she had the attention of the whole group. "They grow on trees."

No comments: