Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Big Event – Get Out and Vote

Today is a very important day; we will elect the next president of the United States. With all the media attention this year it is hard not to know what is happening today. I wondered if the children were aware the election so I asked them this question: “What is the ‘Big Event’ happening today in our country?”

Girl (kindergarten): “Everybody is getting hurt and we have to come to the nurse.”

Boy (1st grade): “Are we going to another country?”

Girl (1st grade): “I’m getting glasses today!”

Boy (1st grade): “Are we going on a field trip, is that a field trip bus out there”

Boy (1st grade): He looked very upset as he said, “I don’t know, I don’t know. I didn’t study good last night.”

Girl (kindergarten): “I think it is cold outside, we are getting jackets.”

Boy (1st grade): “I don’t know, I am going blind!”

I was beginning to get worried at this point. No one so far had any idea of the importance of our democracy and the right to vote. Then finally I got the next responses:

Girl (1st grade): “They are going to vote today and I’m going to vote for Hillary Clinton.”

Boy (2nd grade): He was very excited as he proclaimed, “I am going to vote for Barack Obama, he will lower the FCATS by the time I get to third grade and I won’t have to take any test!”

Boy (1st grade): “They are voting for McBama or McChain to see who they are going to have for vice president.”

Boy (1st grade): “My Dad wants Mucky or Obama, I don’t know.”

Just when the kids were on a roll, several became a little confused with the terminology, although I think they had the general idea:

Boy (1st grade): “They are boating for the president”
Boy (1st grade): “My brother boated on the computer today.”
Girl (1st grade): “My sister boated too, she is 9 years old.”

Then at last, this little boy really was confident in his answer:

Boy (1st grade): “I know! We are voting!”
Nurse Ehop: “Do you know who you are voting for?”
Boy: “The presidents or birds.”

I’ll leave you with that profound choice to ponder as you go to the polls to cast your vote.

No comments: